kdm questions

Brett Wiggins bawig1 at student.monash.edu
Fri Jun 18 06:11:15 PDT 2004

hello (again),
              I am still having some problems with kdm, I have searched
(again) the archives and the handbook. Below are the steps I took,
files I edited during setup. After I installed the X window system and
KDE I created the file ~/.xinitrc which contains;

                       exec startkde

after I created the file I could use startx to run KDE.

I then setup KDM by editing the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession. I
added the following to the file;

                    case $# in
                    1)
                        case $1 in
                         kde)
                              exec /usr/local/bin/startkde
                              ;;
                        failsafe)
                               exec xtem -geometry 80x24-0-0
                               ;;
                        esac
                     esac
Finally I added the following to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0;

                  /usr/local/bin/kdmdesktop

KDM loads but when I log in nothing happens, I just end up back at the
login screen. This is all the info I can think of. If I missed any
please let me know.

Thanks again

Brett