Sendmail for Large Sites

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Jun 18 05:14:27 PDT 2004

	How well does the administration of Sendmail scale up to sites
serving as many as 25,000 users?

	At this moment, everything is more or less on the table, but
what I envision is 25,000 work stations or so, each using Microsoft
Outlook and several Sendmail servers serving the multitudes.  We might
use dns-based round-robin load balancing for all I know.  This is all
simply a mental exercise at this point, but the hardware is already in
place running a commercial package which may have to be replaced if it
can't be made to perform properly and soon.

	I am mainly interested in Sendmail's capacity at this time in
order to suggest it as a possibility if it is realistic to do so.

	There are other considerations such as the facts that all
incoming and outgoing messages are checked for malicious attachments.
ldap is used to drive the setting of customer mail delivery
preferences and even their user ID choice.

	To use an American vernacular, it is a tall order.

	Many thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group