IPFW log results analysis

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Fri Jun 18 03:42:14 PDT 2004

Jow,

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2004-06-18 10:43, Uwe Kolsch <uwe.kolsch at wax.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Is there a tool for FBSD like logwatch on Linux, which can provide a detailed
>>but still somehow summarized output based on the logging results of IPFW. I mean
>>more detailed than this from the daily security run:
>>

>>>02010    557     48486 deny log ip from any to any out
>>>10000   1026     49716 deny ip from any to any in setup
>>>10003   3859    828227 deny ip from any to any in
>>
>>... and more like this.
>

> You can always write your own shell scripts to parse ipfw logs ;-)
>
> I haven't heard of any summarizing tools, but if you feel that scripting
> your own is too much it shouldn't be too hard to roll a few custom
> scripts if you tell me what you're looking for in such a report.

You can send your daily logs to dshield.org and they will give a daily
overview over what you send. They will use your information to do '
distributed IDS '. That means if you get port probed and the person
doing that hits your network and other networks regularly, there will be
a warning send out to the ISP that this person is being very  abusive.

I use it myself, giving a match on my external interface and it will
send just that.

Perhaps you can view their script, (perl), and adopt it to create the
summary yourself.

> - Giorgos

Cheers

--