screen 4.00.01 FREEBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE cannot read .bash_profile (solved)

Oliver Fuchs oliverfuchs at onlinehome.de
Thu Jun 17 22:17:56 PDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Andy Harrison wrote:

Hi,

first of all I have to correct my test results:
	Not correct:
	[...]
	.bash_profile. If the alias is set in .cshrc:
	alias vi vim
	screen is running vim when typing vi (although the shell is still
	bash).
	[...]

	Instead:
	Screen in acting correctly when shell is set to csh (then screen
	reads the .cshrc). Screen is not reading the .cshrc while bash is
	the shell

> This is a total shot in the dark, but I wonder if this little section
> of the manual might apply.

And a hit

> daemon, usually `rshd'.  If Bash determines it is being run by rshd, it
> reads and executes commands from `~/.bashrc', if that file exists and
> is readable.  It will not do this if invoked as `sh'.  The `--norc'

It is true that screen while bash is the shell is only looking for the
.bashrc file in the home directory. I copied .bash_profile to .bashrc and
then everything worked (the same effect as "shell -$SHELL" in .screenrc).

So thanx for helping.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit