Logging the message body from an MTA

Lonnie Santella lonniesantella at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 17 16:22:42 PDT 2004

I need to log the message body of incoming and outgoing messages on my
FreeBSD 5.2.1 Release server. I'm running Exim right now, but I really don't
have a preference of MTA. The main thing is I need to facilitate the logging
of message bodies.

I don't want to flood you with too many details, but we want to archive
messages (including message body) to a MySQL database, so that we can
quickly run queries and review messages from months/years ago - no matter
who's mailbox it ended up in.

To accomplish this, we need to <first> log the message body somehow...
anyhow... then commit the logs to the MySQL database.

I'd settle for learning how to do the first step. I've read through Exim
docs and Sendmail docs, as well as various newsgroups - plenty of info on
logging various data - but nothing on message bodies. I posted a message to
the Exim news group - but no luck there.

I'm not set on Exim - I just want to log message bodies. Any help or a push
in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Lonnie