Firefox 0.9 Port

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 11:28:43 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 07:04:50PM +0100, Lewis Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 12:36:09PM -0500, Jamie Novak wrote:
> > The install was successful, but as soon as I try to run the program, all
> > I get is the same message repeating over and over again in my xterm:

> > The browser never actually starts and that message keeps repeating until
> > I ^C out of it.
>
> Try starting it as root then as a regular user.  It's weird.  I had that
> but after long enough I got a message about too mamy open files.

I found that running as root via sudo meant that firefox created a
root-owned ~/.mozilla/firefox directory -- so as soon as I tried to
run it under my own UID, that lead to being constantly asked to create
a new profile, failing to do that and then crashing as observed.

Doing a

    % sudo chown -R matthew:matthew ~/.mozilla

fixed the problems and Firefox is running very nicely now, although
occasionally some unknown thing triggers it to dump core when
quitting.  Obviously (do I really need to say this?) substitute your
own usernamed and default group in the above.

Most ways of becoming root won't alter the ${HOME} environment
variable -- other than a full 'su -' or logging into the console as
root, so I'd expect this doing nasty things to file ownerships to be
quite common.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way