Apache2 and UserDir in FreeBSD

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Thu Jun 17 06:41:24 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 07:04:07AM +0100, Jez Hancock wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 03:16:50PM -0400, Duane Winner wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody know why this is happening:
> >
> > I have found that with apache2, installed via portinstall on both 4.9
> > and 5.x, the UserDir is enabled even if it is commented out in httpd.conf!
> >
> > It is on by default in the stock httpd.conf that installs with apache2.
> > If I comment it out and restart, I have found that users can still
> > create "public_html" directories in their home directories, and publish
> > content.
>
> I found this odd as well on apache13 a while ago. UserDir is enabled by
> default for apache13 and will only be 'disabled' if you set it
> disabled explicitly in httpd.conf:
on rereading my post I realize I forgot to say that the details in my
post also apply to apache 2.x as well as 1.3.x - that's to say that by
default apache 2.x has UserDir enabled by default on FreeBSD.  Turn it
off using 'UserDir disabled' in httpd.conf.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer

http://munk.nu/