Still no graphic desktop

Curtis Almond cjalmond at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 06:32:49 PDT 2004

One other thing you can do besides /stand/sysinstall is to use XFree86
-configure.

After you boot simply type the above command.  After that command is
finished it will prompt you with another command to test the
configuration.  Simply type the command shown on the screen and you
should see an X type environment on your monitor.

In some cases at this point you will need to ctl-alt-backspace to exit.

Once you are done with this step cd /stand and type ./sysinstall.  Go
to configure, then desktop, and install Gnome.

Once you have installed GNOME then go back to your home directory and
create a .xinitrc file with one line in it as follows.

GNOME-SESSION

At this point the resolution may not be as you desire.  To configure
the resolution add the following lines to your XF86Config file.

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24***(This is the line you want to add****

Then in the below section add some lines:
SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
               Modes   "1600x1200" ***Add this line ****
                Modes   "1280x1024" ***add this line****
               Modes   "1024x768"*** add this line****
        EndSubSection

Also while we are here you should enable the scroll mouse.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"  ***add this line***
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
EndSection

Then in the proper section

If you have an Intel integrated graphics card this may require more
changes.  If you do let me know and I can show you what I have done to
get an integrated Intel graphics chip to work.

At this point you should be able to just type startx and the GNOME
session will start at the resolution you desire.  If you entered all
three "Modes" lines  you can use clt-atl--minus sign to step down to
the next lowest resolution.

Let me know if you have qestions.