IDE hard disk recoms

Mike Woods Mike at the-rubber-chicken-network.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 10:40:38 PDT 2004

Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Sure.  I'd pick up a 7200 RPM ATA drive with 8MB of cache, such as the
> Western Digital WD1200JB.  Pick another size (40GB, 80GB, probably
> through 200GB) if you like.

Seconded, but id get the sata version and a caddy for a server, makes
like easier with changes etc and caddies can be had with extra cooling
fans installed which should help lengthen the life of the drive.

> Seagate and Maxtor are also pretty good names; the former tends to be
> more expensive and higher performing, the latter are quiet, a little
> slow, but generally reliable and cheap.

I dont know about today but seagate drives used to have real longevity
problems years ago (back in my amiga days :))

> The IBM UltraStar models are quite good, whereas the DeskStars have
> dubious reliability, and Quantum made the term "stiction" famous more
> than a decade ago with the Q105 SCSI drives that wouldn't spin up, so
> I wouldn't rely on that vendor either.

IBM fixed the problems with the deskstars long ago (with the gxp120) and
all the drives since have been known to be reliable drives with good
preformance for a nice price, also hitachi own the deskstars now.

As for quantum, you've recomended them above :)

Maxtor bought quantums hard dive division years ago and most maxtor
drives since  are basicly quantum designs or derivertives off them :)

Mike Woods
IT Technician