DHCP: keep a lease forever?

Kevin Stevens freebsd at pursued-with.net
Wed Jun 16 00:45:26 PDT 2004

On Jun 16, 2004, at 00:02, Dave wrote:

> Let's say I wanted to be 192.168.1.170 for argument's sake.  I turn
> everything off (router + computers).  Set my 'starting IP' to 170.
> Fire
> the FreeBSD machine up first, let it get 170.  Then I turn the dumb
> winboxes on, and who cares what they have they arn't important.  Like a
> couple of days later, I'll type "ifconfig" and suddely I got 172 on my
> FreeBSD box (192.168.1.172) instead of 170.  I could turn DHCP off, but
> then my dhclient takes really really really long to find the network
> (but
> it does find it, eventually).  How can I setup a more static system
> here
> without the long wait for dhclient?  Anything in dhclient.conf I can
> put
> in there?  I want to disable dhcp, but I need to figure out how to
> efficiently get the connection going on, and basically, I havn't owned
> FreeBSD in the pre-dhcp era, so I wouldn't know how.

Another poster replied with how to switch to static addressing.  Note
that to do that, you need to assign the static address OUTSIDE the
range (scope) that your DHCP server (Linksys router) is offering to
clients, or it will get stepped on.

The other way to accomplish what you want is to set up a DHCP lease
reservation.  You configure the DHCP server to associate a specific MAC
address with a specific IP address in the scope.  The server will then
only assign that IP address to a DHCP request from the client with that
specific MAC.

Either approach requires configuration of the DHCP server.  My Linksys
router supports both settings.

KeS