Problem with X11 v4/keyboard not working - not missing XKeysymDB

atk2 at arctic.org atk2 at arctic.org
Tue Jun 15 14:45:33 PDT 2004

>From previous notes you see I attempted to upgrade from XFree86 v3 to v4.
I have the system running (sort of) but I had to add the option:

        Option "XkbDisable" "true"

to get things to work. With (or without this option) virtual console
(alt-ctl fn) doesn't work when running X (works fine without X). Without
this option all key strokes are ignored - though on the console I get
the error message about bad keysym).

I did the usual searches and found a few people with similar problem
(one noted missing /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB) but that file is
on my system and world readable. Another had a strange
keyboard - mine is a simple 101 or 105 keyboard - us standard ps2 plug).

My keyboard def from XFree86 is:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option          "CoreKeyboard"
#        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
#        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc101"
#        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

----

I appreciate any suggestions. Things worked fine with XFree86 v3 (including
switch to virtual console from within X) - I upgraded the kernel before
upgrading X so things were working fine with the new kernel. (4.10Stable).

Thanks,
Alan