Detaching program from controlling terminal

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 10:10:46 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:48:34AM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2004-06-15T13:46:21Z, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> writes:
>
> > The fact that sysadmins generally don't know users' passwords, and have no
> > practical means of finding them out if the user doesn't want them to know
> > what it is.
>
> Install and play with "john".  It was enlightening for me.

There was a tacit assumption in what I was saying that users wouldn't
choose weak passwords.  Now, I know that is completely unrealistic and
never happens in practice unless a suitably large stick is weilded to
concentrate the lusers' minds. It's the difference between theory and
practice.

> > Since the sysadmin doesn't know what the users' password is on the systems
> > he admins, the user can safely use the same password on other systems with
> > different admins.
>
> For the sake of clarity, is that your belief, or are you explaining what
> other peoples' opinions?

That's the theoretical ideal, assuming that everybody concerned acts
in a reasonable way so as not to leave security holes that you could
drive a truck through...  In practice, it probably isn't like that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way