Can't boot install cd (Compaq DL380)

Aaron Peterson aaron at alpete.com
Tue Jun 15 07:01:28 PDT 2004

hah, had to transcribe this whole thing with pen and paper since I
couldn't think of any other way to copy it.  I put the install cd in for
FreeBSD 4.10, turn on the server, hit [Enter] to boot immediately
instead of going to command prompt.  in the Kernel Configuration menu, I
just skip and boot the default kernel.  It finds devices that scroll
accross the screen, network cards:

NMI ISA a0, EISA ff
RAM parity error, likely hardware failure

Fatal Trap 19: non-maskable interrupt while in kernel mode
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc02f56a6
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc084bf20
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc084bf34
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x16
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, IOPL = 0
current process		= 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask		= net tty bio cam
trap number		= 19
panic: non-maskable interrupt trap
Uptime: 0s

This is a Compaq DL380 server (dual P3 733s and ECC RAM).  I've swapped
out each memory module with a known good memory module one by one, and
every configuration still generates this error.  OpenBSD and Redhat seem
to run just fine on this machine too.  What can I do?  I don't
understand what is generating this error exactly so I don't know where
to start.

The install cd for FreeBSD 4.9 generated the same error.  The install cd
for 5.1 hangs without error messages.  if it is important for me to give
you more information about that I will go test it again and write down
the screen contents.  What i really want is 4.10 though.

Aaron