Devil Mascot

Anubis anubis357 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jun 15 02:31:47 PDT 2004

Thompson, Jimi wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>>From a marketing
>>perspective, you are shooting yourselves in the foot.  There are many
>
> people
>
>>of various religious backgrounds who will be dissuaded from trying
>
> FreeBSD
>
>>because they have religious objections to a product that is promoted
>
> by a
>
>>devil.
>

> Why should The FreeBSD project be interested in users ? It is not a
> commerial project. I think the FreeBSD folks are interested in making a
> cool unix-like operating system, not much else.
>
> </SNIP>
>
> <SOAPBOX>
> My personal view is that the "daemon" logo performs as pre-filter to
> help us locate "reasonable" users.  You are either a sufficiently
> advanced as a person to "deal" using a product that has a daemon for a
> logo, in which case we welcome you as a user of one of the finest
> operating systems around.  If you are not sufficiently advanced to
> handle this concept then you won't use our product in which case the
> only thing we miss out on dealing with yet another religious bigot.
> Where's the downside?
> </SOAPBOX>
>
> 2 cents,
>
> Jimi

My thoughts exactly.  It is a kind of intelligence test and filter.
Like the rest of freebsd, you either "get it" or you dont.  Freebsd is
not for everyone.

Im kind of turning into a freebsd zealot though.  Its almost good enough
to worship.
If beastie could be considered a god he is not a jealous god like the
jewish one.  Although there are plenty of people who have given their
hearts and souls to the project, but it is not compulsory.
There are plenty more that sleep well of a night knowing that beastie is
looking out for them.
Prayers to beastie via freebsd-questions seem to be answered quite
promptly.  I dont know of any other god that has as good a track record.
  I dont like being blown off with that "he works in mysterious ways" crap.