Devil Mascot

K. Greenwood k_greenwood1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 08:06:14 PDT 2004

Please realize that I am not an official
representative of FreeBSD, nor any organization
associated to it.

--- Edward Hendrie <edwardmh at pwaccess.com> wrote:
>     Why do you have a Devil for a trademark mascot?

Daemon...

> From a marketing perspective,

Blasphemy...

> you are shooting yourselves in the
> foot.  There are many people
> of various religious backgrounds who will be
> dissuaded from trying FreeBSD
> because they have religious objections to a product
> that is promoted by a
> devil.

Again... daemon.

As well they may, that type of individual is not the
"target demographic".  FreeBSD is typically a *nix
type OS that "makes an ideal Internet or Intranet
server".

If a person will make a critical judgement on their OS
not by quality of code and system stability, but by
what animated mascot is on a website, frankly (and I
mean this in the kindest, most pleasant manner, also
NOT a representative of FreeBSD) I don't feel that the
FreeBSD community wants/needs such an individual.

>     You may think that is a small issue, but when
> you are trying to create
> market awareness you need a mascot that evokes
> simplicity and goodwill, not
> one that evokes evil and deception.

Once again, marketing awareness is not necessarily the
primary goal.  The gifted individuals (whom I hold in
the utmost reverance) who actually code the OS, and
make a solid, stable OS for us mear leaches who
benifit from their good will.  If you wish to
influence the community, become a committer, get into
the core group, and then you will be in a powerful
position to voice your concerns.  Shouldn't take too
long I expect.

Again... a daemon (day-mon) (pre-Christian influence)
is intended as follows (from dictionary.com).

A spirit, or immaterial being, holding a middle place
between men and deities in pagan mythology.

A spirit running errands/a program carrying out
commands.  No "evil and deception" intended.

>     Look at how MSN is marketing its ISP.  They use
> characters dressed in
> harmless butterfly costumes.

Harmless?  I think not!

http://www4.tomshardware.com/business/20030110/ces2003_day1-03.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20021025.html

> Linux, has done the same with its pudgy cute
> penguin.  You might want to rethink your mascot.

Yes, Tux is cute.  As is beastie... it's all a matter
of personal preference.  Cuteness, as is beauty, is in
the eye of the beholder.

Here's a suggestion.  I'm sure the OpenBSD
(www.openbsd.org) mailing list would love to hear from
you.  Their mascot is a cute little, non-offensive
blowfish.  What could go wrong there?

> Edward Hendrie

Note: the previous paragraph I typed in jest.
Stereotypically, the OpenBSD mailing list tends to be
somewhat hostile to off topic subjects, brought about
by newbies such as myself.