gnome error message

n3rdBoy . destroyingculture at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 14 06:08:13 PDT 2004

hello,
        I have been looking over the Handbook and I cannot find an answer to
my problem. Every time I start gnome as root or a normal user I get the
following error message;

                                      "Could not look up internet address
for .
                                      this will prevent GNOME from operating
correctly
                                      it may be possible to correct the
problem by adding
                                      to the file /etc/hosts."

The message suggests adding to /etc/hosts, I've looked at the file and
several text books and am still not sure what to do.

Thanks heaps,

Brett