Some Simple Questions

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jun 14 05:44:19 PDT 2004

[Please  read http://www.lemis.com/questions.html]

"Spuds" <spuds at allstream.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Bryan and I am interested in using FreeBSD on my computer. Before I
> do so, I have a couple of questions I was wondering you could answer.
> 1) Is FreeBSD truly free, as in I don't have to pay for it and can download it
> at no charge or is FreeBSD just a name?

FreeBSD is just a name, however FreeBSD is both free (as in beer) and free (as
in speech).

> 2) Is FreeBSD in any way affected by the SCO lawsuits against Linux
> distributors and commercial users, as I am aware that FreeBSD is based on
> Unix? I believe it is the fact that Linux may have Unix code, but I am not
> sure, as I have read many different opinions.

Yes.  If people continue to pay SCO when threatened, SCO is going to find other
people to sue, and FreeBSD is a logical target.
No, FreeBSD does not contain any code that SCO would be justified in suing over,
but neither does Linux.

> 3) Is FreeBSD compatible with Linux software? I believe I read that somewhere.

Yes.  Most Linux software will compile natively on FreeBSD.  Most that won't
compile, can be run under the Linuxulator.  Whatever's left can be substituted.

> 4) Can FreeBSD run on a laptop that is hardware compatible, as I know some
> OS's cannot run on laptops but can on desktops?

I don't understand this questions, but FreeBSD runs on a number of laptops.
Use google to search for "+freebsd +laptop" and you'll find a number of sites
dedicated to giving you detailed information.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies