emu10k1 gamepad support

Bill Sawyer bSawyer at sftp.com
Sat Jun 12 12:08:01 PDT 2004

I'm currently running 4.10-STABLE, and I have a SB Live 5.1 card in my box.  I've been dying to get my Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad working through the gamepad/MIDI port.  However, I couldn't figure out how to get the joy device working properly.  The original code appeared to support an ISA device, but this is a PCI card.

I have a license for OSS, so I've been using that for sound support for the past two weeks.  Dev informed me that OSS enables the joystick port on the gamepad, but doesn't load a driver for it.  I'm kinda stuck right now.  I can read code, but I don't know enough C to actually write sophisticated code by myself, much less port drivers.  I'd like to find a driver that will interact with the OSS drivers, but I'd also like to work on finding a driver that will interact with the default pcm driver, so that individuals who wish to use FreeBSD's native sound system can benefit from having gamepad support.

Dev recommended I look into porting the emu10k1-gp driver to FreeBSD.  I had also seen a patch floating around a while ago on Usenet for modifying the actual joy driver, but that didn't really get me anywhere.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  Any help would be welcome.  If anybody is porting/has ported/is willing to port gamepad drivers to FreeBSD, that would definitely make my day.

I'd like to help the FreeBSD project move forward with its multimedia support.  Once I can get PCI gamepad support running, I won't have any reasons to boot into Windows anymore, and I'm sure my sentiment is shared.

Thanks,

Bill Sawyer
Information Systems
Six Flags St. Louis