Platforms, OSes,etc.

Cordula's Web cpghost at cordula.ws
Sat Jun 12 02:39:24 PDT 2004

reddevil69 at cox.net wrote:
> Hi there. I have a question or two if you folks don't mind. I would
> like to migrate to a better, more stable OS for surfing, making
> music and data cd's as well as dvd's, and importing images ( vhs and
> photo) to cd/dvd. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that
> Windows is good for is my games, probably because I'm tired of all
> the bs (crashes,bugs, holes etc.).  I have a Gigabyte GA-7VM400M
> motherboard with an Athelon XP 2400+ (Thorton). My question then is
> this, What platform do I have (i386, pc98 ? ), and what OS would you
> recommend for my purposes ( FreeBSD, Red Hat, SUSE?) irregardless of
> brand names, and multi-boot setups are not a problem. Please respond
> in non-geek english, and thank you very much for your assistance..

Welcome to FreeBSD!

The platform for all Intel/AMD based PCs is i386.

You may want to try FreeBSD 4.10. It is not only rock solid;
it is also very easy to configure, once you get the hang of it :-)

Please have a look at the Handbook:
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
to get an idea how the installation looks like
and how to perform typical tasks.

Feel free to ask more questions here.

Cheers,
-cpghost.