XFree86 Config (continued)

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Jun 11 15:43:16 PDT 2004

> On Friday 11 June 2004 20:36, LW Ellis wrote:
> > OK thanx to all the help, I think I'm getting close.
> > I have a config file that works fine....only as long as I am signed in as
> > root.
> > KDE-Lite loads and works fine...
> > However
> > If I sign in as a user, I get a grey-green screen with some white windows.
> > I put the config file in etc/X11/XF86Config.
> > There maybe other copies somewhere, but I think I got most of them.
> > Do I have the config file in the right place?
>
> Copy the file '.xinitrc' from root's home directory to the respective user's
> home directory.
> This is because every user can have his own desktop, so every user will have
> to specify one in order not to get the default one. It's also possible to set
> a system-wide default, but I've never done this.

To make it a system-wide default which can be overridden by each user,
put a copy of the .xinitrc mentioned above in;  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/
but leave off the leading dot '.'

Anyway, if you put it in the above directory, it is the default if
the user doesn't make their own.  If they make their own and put it
in their home directory, their own overrides the default.  Something
like that anyway.

I think you can also put the default in etc/X11/ but I am not sure about that.

////jerry