RFC: Free Software Hardware Compatibility - Centralised DB

Joel Rees joel_rees at sannet.ne.jp
Thu Jun 10 16:03:36 PDT 2004

(Apologies in advance --)

On 2004.6.11, at 06:31 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> PLEASE NOTE:
>
> * Please do not reply-all

Sorry, when you break the rules, the rules are broken. However,

> ASSUMPTION:
> We assume that it is in the best interests of each Free Software
> Unix-like operating system distribution, each kernel (eg. Linux, *BSD,
> HURD) and in the best interests of the end users, to have a
> centralised/
> unified location for hardware information.

I'm not sure that centralization is a valid assumption in the open
source community.

Getting hardware is only half the battle. I think that what the members
of the open source community would prefer is that individuals and
companies who have hardware to donate would be aware of (1) what
projects they want or need to support and (2) where the hardware they
have to donate can best be used. (It's a free market, we just use a
different currency, so to speak.)

That said, I suspect that, if a company or individual has hardware to
donate and is not sure where it should go, a broadcast troll like this
might actually be appropriate.

(Which is why I'm even further breaking protocol here.)

--
Joel Rees
     Opinions are like armpits.