Scheme for securing LAN

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Thu Jun 10 19:35:45 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 02:32:31PM +0300, B.Bonev wrote:
> Hi FreeBSDers, I have a simple question.
>
> What scheme for securing LAN is better?
>

>                                     Internet

> Apache          _____ FreeBSD ____LAN
>
> Web Server                Firewall
>

> or
>
>                                    Internet

>                                    FreeBSD
>
>                                    Firewall

>                                    Apache
>
>                                     Web Server

>                                    FreeBSD
>
>                                    Firewall

>                                       LAN
>

> What are advantages and disadvantages of two?
>
> I know that is much more important how tuned Firewalls, Web Server and workstations behind are.
>
> Is there any difficulty for workstations that should works in Internet, because of two Firewalls?

Not really. You'll have the advantage of a secured DMZ but, the real
question is, do you really need the added complexity? You need to say more
about *why* you want to do this? How many users are you supporting? What's
coming off the web server? etc.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/