sound card (WAS: FreeBSD 4.10 RELEASE questions)

Louis LeBlanc freebsd at keyslapper.org
Thu Jun 10 18:00:45 PDT 2004

On 06/10/04 06:29 PM, Bob Johnson sat at the `puter and typed:
> > Message: 8
> > Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:55:14 -0400
> > From: Louis LeBlanc <freebsd at keyslapper.org>
> > Subject: FreeBSD 4.10 RELEASE questions
> > To: FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.org>
> >
> > Hey everyone.  I have a confusing situation here with the new kernel.
> >
> > I just upgraded to 4.10, and in the process, decided to get a
> > moderately updated kernel config.  Particularly, I wanted to try to
> > get my sound working again.
> >
> > Here's the thing.  I have the following lines in my kernel config:
> > device          pcm
> >
> [deleted details]
> > Problem is that I'm not sure if I should have the following:
> >
> > device          pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
>
> Everything after "pcm0" is there for the benefit of ISA cards that are
> not PNP-aware.  Your "device pcm" should be entirely adequate for a PCI
> card that does correct PNP configuration.  It certainly works for me.
>
> Also, if your system doesn't physically have SIO2 or SIO3, you can
> remove those statements (which were in the details I deleted above).

Hmm. I'm not seeing any change.  I removed the sio2 and sio3 entries
and eliminated the other "unknowns", but pci0 is still not getting
found.

> > Note that my fxp0 is using irq 10.  Should I just change the irq?
> > Should I leave it and/or the PNPBIOS line out?
> >

> My system shows several unknown devices which are presumably various
> features of the motherboard that I'm not using, so don't be too
> concerned about the unknown device.  PCI devices are assigned IRQs
> dynamically, and you should not need to worry about which device ended
> up on which IRQ as long as it doesn't conflict with an ISA device in
> your system.
>
> If dmesg.boot shows a "pcm0" device somewhere then your sound card
> should be working.  E.g.:
>
> # grep pcm0 /var/run/dmesg.boot
> pcm0: <VIA VT8235> port 0xe000-0xe0ff irq 5 at device 17.5 on pci0
> pcm0: <Avance Log\M-ic ALC650 AC97 Codec>
> #
>
> I believe that in 4.10 you still have to do
>
> # cd /dev
> # sh MAKEDEV snd0
>
> to populate /dev with the appropriate devices after you get the driver
> it).  I guess you're familiar with that, since you had your sound
> working in the past, but maybe you forgot.  After you've done that,
> something like
>
> # cat /dev/sndstat
>
> should tell you what you ended up with, in its own cryptic way.

Did it, no pcm0 (or even pcm*) in dmesg or /dev.  sndstat tells me the
following:

# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:

And nothing else.

> To get the PCI card correctly recognized, you may need to play with the
> "PNP BIOS" setting in your BIOS configuration, although I don't think
> that's your problem in this case.

The bios setting doesn't really give any options with PNP stuff.  I
though there would be a way to turn off the sound card, but I'm not
finding it.

> If your sound card actually is an ISA device, you need to set the IRQ
> and possibly DRQ settings in the config line to what the card is
> expecting.  You may also have to go into your device and reserve that
> IRQ for your ISA device to keep it from being assigned to a PnP device.

I'm pretty sure it's PCI - it's onboard, so there's not much hope of
pulling it out to read it.

> > I'm sure there's some pertinent details I'm leaving out, so don't
> > hesitate to let me know what it is.
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback.
>
> I hope that helps.

Well, not really, but that's probably more a reflection on me than you
:)  I sincerely appreciate your input, but I think this has just gone
past my pain threshold, which gets lower with each passing day - I
ordered a new Dell Shortly after posting the request, and it should be
coming in about 10 days now <happydance!>.  This system will probably
be retired for awhile until I can get the space to make use of it some
other way.

Thanks again Bob.

Lou
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

Friends, n.:
  People who know you well, but like you anyway.