Using scanner with FreeBSD. A nightmare!

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Thu Jun 10 03:02:02 PDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Rob wrote:

> even get the image file. But then the problems start.
>
> A second scan seems to hang (well, how long am I supposed to wait?).
>
> I killed the app, restarted it; again hanging.
> But I was patient....after 5 or 10 minutes suddently the window
> popped up. I clicked on "Scan", which hangs the application again.

Hi!

Just checked some archives to get the grasp...
Well, on the german lists we had this discussion about scanner
compatibility some time ago, and back then I tested our Scanner @work
(also a 5200c) with my notebook.

I had 4.9 running, and used xsane together with gimp to aquire the
pictures. Due to laziness, and because I only needed a handful of scans,
I decided to do everything as root, also running X11 as root (I know,
bad idea, but this was just for testing only).

I think the warm-up of the device is a bit slow, before it actually will
do something.

Well, I think I will be there tomorrow @work, so if the issue still
persists, I think I can put sane again on my notebook and have  a few
tests.

Olaf
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)