pkgdb -F question

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 01:42:13 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 10:49:16PM -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> I am working on an installation of Metadot.  Running a portversion on
> the server yielded an error, and I suspect it's because part of the
> instructions had several CPAN modules installed via the CPAN shell
> rather than just ports.
>
> Here's what I was getting:
> ****
> # pkgdb -F
> --->  Checking the package registry database
> Missing origin: bsdpan-MIME-tools-5.411
> -> Ignored. (the package is held; specify -f to force)
> Missing origin: bsdpan-MailTools-1.62
> -> Ignored. (the package is held; specify -f to force)
> Missing origin: bsdpan-libwww-perl-5.79
> -> Ignored. (the package is held; specify -f to force)
> Stale dependency: mod_perl-1.29 -> p5-libwww-5.79 (www/p5-libwww):
> p5-XML-Parser-2.34_1 (score:20%) ? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [no]
> New dependency? (? to help): ?
>  [Enter] to skip, [Ctrl]+[D] to delete,  [.][Enter] to abort, [Tab] to
> complete
> New dependency? (? to help): .
> Abort.
> *******
>
> What is the answer I'm supposed to give, so that portupgrade will work
> and the system won't get fouled up?

Type in 'bsdpan-libwww-perl-5.79' as the new dependency, since that's
what's providing the functionality on your system.

> Advice?

If a CPAN module is available from ports (as p5-Foo-Bar) then it's
best to install the ports version.  Most of the popular perl modules
are available as ports, and they are generally pretty much up to
date. Only use BSDPAN when there isn't a port of the module you want,
or you absolutely must have the latest version, and the port hasn't
been updated yet.  BSDPAN is cool, but it isn't quite a seamless
drop-in replacement for actual port: you can get the odd hiccough
while using it.

To replace bsdpan-libwww-perl-5.79 with p5-libwww-5.79 you should be
able to do:

    # portupgrade -o www/p5-libwww -f bsdpan-libwww-perl-5.79

which will automatically update all of the pkgdb dependency links for
you.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way