Improper shutdown of system / Fragmentation Problems / Boot

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 9 12:19:37 PDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:45:06 -0400 (EDT)
Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:

> > > FreeBSD will defragment itself without any action from the user.
> > > However, defragmentation requires some blank space, and (ideally) you
> > > should not let any partition get more than 80% full. You can check on
> > > that with "df -h":
> >
> > I've been running partitions well over 90% for over six years on
> > FreeBSD and have not seen any problems with doing so.
> >
> > Do you have a FreeBSD documentation reference for that 80% figure?
>
> It is mentioned as a recommendation.  It is not an absolute.
> Do a little searching and you will probably find some references.
> We have some that run in to the 90-s most of the time too.  It
> depends on what you are actually doing.   If it is a fairly stable
> collection of data that doesn't get a lot written to it most of
> the time, it shouldn't matter.   If it is very volatile - lots of
> files come and go, then it could make a bigger difference.  Unless
> it gets to the 100% mark (except for root) with that 100% being with
> the set-aside already taken out, it shouldn't cause anything to crash.

While most of the data/files are stable, there's probably a few
Gigs that come and go with fair regularity.  I update the box
very frequently (ports, docs and sources) so that adds to the
churning I'm sure.

I'll start watching for any performance hits the next time it gets
over 95% full.  I'm just a bit surprised that I've not noticed
anything.

Thanks for the response.  Much appreciated.

Best regards,

Randy