Net::LibIDN

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Jun 9 07:14:12 PDT 2004

Odhiambo Washington <wash at wananchi.com> wrote:

> * Martin Hudec <corwin at aeternal.net> [20040609 16:40]: wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > >
> > >  CPAN.pm: Going to build T/TH/THOR/Net-LibIDN-0.07.tar.gz
> > >
> > >/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lidn
> > >This module requires GNU Libidn, which could not be found.
> > >
> > >What am I gonna do? ;-))
> >
> > 	and did you try this one to install as prerequisite for Net-LibIDN?
> >
> > amber# make search name="libidn"
> > Port:   libidn-0.4.6
> > Info:   Internationalized Domain Names command line tool
> > Maint:  krion at FreeBSD.org
> > Index:  devel
> > B-deps: expat-1.95.7 gengetopt-2.11 gettext-0.13.1_1 libgnugetopt-1.2
> > libiconv-1.9.1_3 libtool-1.3.5_2
> > R-deps: expat-1.95.7 gettext-0.13.1_1 libgnugetopt-1.2 libiconv-1.9.1_3
>
> I mentioned that I had installed devel/libidn. Didn't you see? ;-))
>
> > And perhaps then try to install your wanted perl module from ports
> > instead of CPAN:
> >
> > Port:   p5-Net-LibIDN-0.07_1
> > Info:   This module provides access to the libidn library
> > Maint:  domi at saargate.de
> > Index:  devel perl5
> > B-deps: expat-1.95.7 gettext-0.13.1_1 libgnugetopt-1.2 libiconv-1.9.1_3
> > libidn-0.4.6
> > R-deps: expat-1.95.7 gettext-0.13.1_1 libgnugetopt-1.2 libiconv-1.9.1_3
> > libidn-0.4.6
>
> Now this has worked for me. Thanks so much, although I don't like
> installing Perl Modules using the ports, but since it works, I will
> use this method in the future when I am btn a rock and a hard place.

Probably what happened is that FreeBSD installs libidn in a different location
than Linux-centrix CPAN expects, thus installing the module from CPAN, it can't
find it.  When you install perl modules from ports, the FreeBSD ports magic
ensures that the proper (in the FreeBSD world) locations are checked.

The upshot being, if you don't install everything from ports, you need to learn
how to tell the installation program where to look for dependencies.  There's
probably some option you can pass to CPAN to tell it where to look.

On the flip side, I'm not 100% sure this was the problem, but it's the most
common reason I've seen for this kind of failure.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies