free

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue Jun 8 11:05:36 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 10:38 am, Bill Moran wrote:
> [Please use "reply all" to include the mailing list in subsequent
> questions, I do not always have time to respond to all follow-ups.]
>
> dauda braimah <daudabraimah at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi Bill,
> > thanks for that email and the prompt reply.
> >
> > What practical minimum size required to install
> > freebsd and XP
>
> I have not idea how little a disk Windows XP will fit on, but I doubt
> 2G will be big enough.

I agree. My WinXP directory by itself is 1.8 GB and the applications are
exponential from there :).

> How much space you need for FreeBSD depends entirely on what you want
> to do. If you just want to use it as an internet firewall, you can do
> a minimal installation of less than a few hundred meg.  If you want
> to do C-language development for servers or console applications, you
> could probably get away with less than 1G.  If you want a full-blown
> graphical interface with web browser and office suite, you're going
> to need at least 10G.

I am not sure that is enough. For example, just updating java-1.4, you
need 1.7+ GB free. I think there are other ports that need much more. I
have /usr/ports as a stand alone mount point and created a 15 GB
filesystem just for the ports. It is currently running at 20% used.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA