port upgrades

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Tue Jun 8 08:39:47 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 00:45, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:01:15PM +0000, Daniela wrote:

> > > You _will_ run into problems if you only update parts of the ports
> > > collection.
> >
> > Well, I didn't mean upgrading of just one or two directories, but rather
> > skipping directories such as the japanese ports if you don't speak
> > japanese. Almost no ports depend on things in language-specific
> > directories (at least not the ones I have installed).
>
> OK, but you still can't do some things like build an index because
> some things do still depend on those ports you're not upgrading.

While we're on the subject, how do you build an index of the binary packages
you have? I needed this a long time ago, when I created a custom FreeBSD
installation CD-ROM, and I thought shellscript and hand-editing were the only
ways to do it. Recursive fetching was a pain too, even with portupgrade. How
do you gurus solve this?

Daniela