Wisdom of automating upgrades

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Tue Jun 8 08:28:47 PDT 2004

Vince Hoffman wrote:

>On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Peter Risdon wrote:
>

>>I have been pondering the wisdom
>>of automating the upgrade process,
>>

>You may want to have a look at freebsd-update. Its a binary updater,
>Client/Server config, the server code and info on what it is, is available
>from http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update/
>and the client is in ports.
>
>Vince

Thanks very much for this.

I was vaguely aware of freebsd-update (I think it's been mentioned on
this list). But since it seems only to be concerned with security
updates it forms a subset (albeit vital) of a complete upgrade.

I suppose what I'm driving at is whether the RELENG_4 branch sees many
commits that are likely to be problematic. My experience of it, which is
both fairly random and limited, is excellent. I don't remember having
any problems with a kernel/world upgrade within a production branch.
Doing a batch of upgrades today simultaneously and remotely, and all
going fine as usual, made me think of this again.

Peter.