Leaving a server on all day

Chiang Seng Chang cs at ctzen.com
Tue Jun 8 07:57:46 PDT 2004

I also have an always-on "headless" server running for like 3 years now
without any problem.

I use it for: apache, samba, vpn, postfix (the "usual" server apps).

I think the "key" is to use the minimal (translate: cooler, less power
hungry) components.

Mine is P2-400 with 5400 rpm HDDs.

A UPS would be a nice addition.

The ONLY issue I have is it takes a few *days* to do portupgrade -ar ;-)
maybe I should just remove all the X stuff.

-cs