Boot GUI / Boot data and process / Fragmentation

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue Jun 8 01:00:05 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 12:37 am, Bruce Hunter wrote:
> Thanks for your help Kent
>
> I read something about using portversion -c with the portupgrade
> command to upgrade installed pkgs that needed to be updated.
>
> When I run portversion -c  :: I get a print out of things needed to
> be upgraded and at the end, it shows a 'if' statment.
>
> How do you use this command with portupgrade so it just updates them
> instead of just showing me. Just do it dang it... just do it! ;o)

I'm not the one to ask because I use the -c and do them one at a time.
The portupgrade option -rRa will do some of it. I just want it to do it
at my convience and choosing :). I also have an AMD 2400+ that sits off
to the side of my computer desk and I build everything on it. The
problem with the -c list is that it doesn't build dependancies first.
The -rRa will do that but I also create packages and adding "p" to
build packages creates a lie. Portupgrade repackages everything but
doesn't rebuild everything. So, you think you have a current build but
only have a current package. They aren't the same thing :).

One point I was going to make about the booting. It is as clean and mean
a process as you can create. Anything you add will only slow it down.
Given a choice of a quick boot or a pretty one, I will go for speed
everytime :).

Kent

> Bruce..
>
> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 03:26, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 June 2004 12:03 am, Bruce Hunter wrote:
> > > This is off topic, I was wondering if there is a pretty little
> > > gui that will run when booting. Kinda like windows, lindows, and
> > > even Redhat Fedora has one; which can be switched back and forth.
> > > Basically, so I don't have to see the text scrolling down and
> > > just see a loader with %. Maybe in the ports collection? If not I
> > > might have write one. :oP
> >
> > Windows only hides the boot. Press the <esc> key and it kills the
> > splash screen.
> >
> > Why does it matter. I start a boot and go get a cup of coffee, it
> > is always finished when I get back. It is only a problem if you
> > make it into one :).
> >
> > > Oh, and thanks for your comments/answers. One last question
> > > thought? How do I get rid of that fragmentation crap? Just for
> > > shits and giggles.. ;o)
> >
> > There isn't one. Unix fixes fragmented files without your help. The
> > only thing you need to know is "fsck -y" from single user mode to
> > fix a bad shutdown.
> >
> > Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA