Help:Lilo killed Beastie!!!

Mark Jayson Alvarez jay2xra at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 22:56:59 PDT 2004

Hi,

  I'm currently using freebsd 4.10 and after
installing slackware on the primary partition I have
reserved for it, when I booted to Freebsd...

These are the errors that I have encountered:

Problem:
#####
Manual root filesystem specification
<fstype>:<device>

mountroot>

I've tried typing ufs:/dev/ad0s1a but nothing
happened.

The following details might help you to help me:

I have a 20gb harddisk with 3 primary partitions,
and an extended partition with ntfs logical drives
inside it.

The primary partitions are:
1st: Dos(mounted before as /dev/ad0s1)
2nd: Freebsd
3rd: unformatted(reserved for slackware)

The extended partition is:
Extended ntfs partitions(mounted before as /dev/ad0s5
and /dev/ad0s6 respectively)

Before I installed slackware, I can see these at the
freebsd bootmanager prompt:

F1:DOS
F3:FreeBSD

When I installed slackware, I've chosen not to install
Lilo because I already have Freebsd boot manager
installed..

So this appeared at boot time:

F1:DOS
F2:Freebsd(F3 before installing slack)
F4:Linux

And this is what happened after pressing F4:
(beeeep!) nothing happened!

So I guess it was a bad idea not to install Lilo!
so... I installed it..

and it worked! but after pressing F4, I have found
myself inside another boot manager which is Lilo(boot
manager inside a boot manager...hmmm..)

Finally after getting tired of reading slackwares
documentation.. I've returned to my Beastie and then..
the problem which I have stated above have just
occurred!

Please help me.. I really wanted to learn Linux but
never would I want to loose FreeBSD. Its my primary
OS.

Thanks
-jay