port upgrades

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Mon Jun 7 13:28:18 PDT 2004

On Monday 07 June 2004 02:01 pm, Daniela wrote:
> On Monday 07 June 2004 19:35, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > >
> > > You could use CVSup to update just the directories you want, and
> > > you can also put this into the system crontab to periodically run
> > > it. That's pretty convenient.
> >
> > You _will_ run into problems if you only update parts of the ports
> > collection.
>
> Well, I didn't mean upgrading of just one or two directories, but
> rather skipping directories such as the japanese ports if you don't
> speak japanese. Almost no ports depend on things in language-specific
> directories (at least not the ones I have installed).

Well, there are side effects that you may not know or think about. For
example, many of the ports include pieces from other pieces. If you
don't upgrade everything, you could be using old information. Make is
very particular and the only safe way to refuse, is to delete the
refused tree, and then modify /usr/ports/Makefile to ignore those
pieces. If you follow those steps and something breaks during the make
index process, there is a lot that you don't understand about make and
will learn soon :).

FWIW, you don't save a lot of disk space by cvsuping ports-all and you
may save yourself a lot of problems you wouldn't think about.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA