4.10 Release & Exim 4.32

Lonnie Santella lonniesantella at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 7 00:17:51 PDT 2004

I'm struggling here. I have read all the docs I could possibly find - from
both the Exim website and FreeBSD.org. I also tried newsgroups.

Installing Exim from the ports is easy - installs fine, and with couple
edits to mailer.conf and rc.conf - exim starts right up and works fine.

But I need to make some changes _prior_ to the first "make". This is the
problem. Running the "make" command in the /usr/ports/mail/exim directory
will ultimately create all the necessary files and directories. Exim
documentation clearly instructs that you need to create a Local/Makefile
file with settings that need to be incorporated into the make of the binary.

I created the Local/Makefile file, with the necessary changes - but the
"make" process ignores this file. The "make" process does create a series of
subdirectories, including a "Local" directory. Very confusing because I
thought this would need to be immediately under the main exim directory in
order to work. Plus I thought it was necessary that the "Local" directory be
present _BEFORE_ you run the first "make" - but there is no "Local"
directory until you run "make" for the first time. This is a catch 22.

I need to add some build-time settings beyond the defaults in order to run
Exim on my system. I'm thinking that I'm making a fundemental mistake here,
but I can't figure out what it is.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Lonnie

P.S. This is FreeBSD 4.10 Release, Exim 4.32.