cvsup vs portupgrade

Viktor Lazlo viktorlazlo at telus.net
Sun Jun 6 23:46:36 PDT 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, [iso-8859-1] Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am still not very clear on the function between
>
> # cvsup -g /usr/local/etc/cvsup/stable-supfile
>
> and
>
> # portupgrade -aRr
>
> I have following questions;
>
> 1) What will be their diffenece in function
>
> 2) If having run
>
> # cvsup -g /usr/local/etc/cvsup/ports-supfile
> # cvsup -g /usr/local/etc/cvsup/stable-supfile
>
> Whether I still need to run
>
> # portupgrade -aRr
>
> 3) If NO to 2) above
> When shall I need to run
> # portupgrade -aRr
>
> 4) Whether following procedure is correct
>
> # cvsup -g /usr/local/etc/cvsup/ports-supfile
> then
> # cvsup -g /usr/local/etc/cvsup/stable-supfile

cvsup synchronizes your source tree.  This ensures that whatever you build
will be using the updated code for the branch you are tracking.  However,
this is not like the binary upgrades you can do with some Linux
distributions like Debian's apt-get where it actually installs the updated
distribution as it downloads--as far as your running system is concerned,
no actual update occurs until you do a make buildworld/make installworld,
make buildkernel/make installkernel, or install a particular port using
the updated source code.

Portupgrade then uses the updated source code for the ports collection to
actually compile and install the selected port.

cvsup -g /usr/local/etc/cvsup/ports-supfile and cvsup -g
/usr/local/etc/cvsup/stable-supfile separately update the sources for the
FreeBSD version you are tracking and the ports collection--if you are
running both every time you can combine them in a single cvsupfile that
updates everything in a single pass.

Cheers,

Viktor