Apache pkg-messagees

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 6 17:16:01 PDT 2004

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 23:24:47 +0200
"Hutterer Robert" <robert.hutterer at univie.ac.at> wrote:

> After upgrading to apache 1.3.29_4 you have to add a line to rc.conf
> pkg_message in the ports tree says:
>
> ===>  BE CAREFULL HOW TO BOOT on 1.3.29_4 or after:
> 	To run apache www server from startup, add apache_enable="YES"
> 	in your /etc/rc.conf.
>
> THIS IS A CLEAR MESSAGE
>
> In a similar way changes were made for apache-2.0.49_2
> BUT WHAT DOES THIS PKG-MESSAGE MEAN???
>
> "Since 2.0.49_2, apache startup script is now enabled/disabled via
> rc.subr.
> Available variables:
> - apache2_enable (bool):      Set to "NO" by default.
>                               Set it to "YES" to enable apache2
> - apache2ssl_enable (bool):   Set to "NO" by default.
>                               Set it to "YES" to start apache with SSL
>                               (if <IfDefined SSL> exists in httpd.conf)
> - apache2limits_enable (bool):Set to "NO" by default.
>                               Set it to yes to run `limits $limits_args`
>                               just before apache starts.
> - apache2_flags (str):        Set to "" by default.
>                               Extra flags passed to start command
> - apache2limits_args (str):   Default to "-e -U %%WWWOWN%%"
>                               Arguments of pre-start limits run."
>
> Should also some lines be addes to rc.conf ?????? Which one???
>
> Clear messages would be very helpfull!!

The entries go in /etc/rc.conf and take the form of other entries:

	apache2_enable="YES"

The "(bool)" is a "YES" or "NO" value.  Take a look at
man rc.conf for more examples of this.  Whether or not you need
additional apache2 settings in /etc/rc.conf will depend on what
you need.  Chances are, if you don't know what they mean, then
you won't need them.

There has been an update to the pkg-message:

  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200406062153.i56LrItr083680

Often, you may find discussions in the archives relating to an
issue you're having.  I use the google-freebsd:

  http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=mailing.freebsd

You can limit it to just the FreeBSD mailing lists by checking
the appropriate circle.  Try that and search for "apache2_enable"
and it'll turn up yesterday's discussion of this same topic.

Hope this helps some.

Randy