Upgrading FreeBSD to a new release

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 6 15:30:20 PDT 2004

The source upgrade is not the problem, it's when on those rare times
that system configuration file statements are added or changed that
requiring mergemaster to run. There is no way around that condition
when that happens. The 5.1 to 5.2 case is special just because 5.x
is development branch. You would not see this in stable branch
upgrades.

Now I think I read about an case where an person had two remote
headless systems and he set each one up with an serial console to
the other system. So he could have ssh session to box A which had
serial console connection to box B that he then could put box B into
single user mode to do mergemaster and return back to multi user
mode. Then he would use ssh session to box B who had serial console
connection to box A and do same thing to box A.

So there is an way around your remote problem as long as you have
two boxes at same remote location.

You know the real simple solution is to do your upgrade to local box
and remove hard disk and ship it to remote location and have short
downtime while hard drives are swapped. All ways have an single IDE
drive just for your operation system separate from your data drives.