Whither binaries?

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Sun Jun 6 13:15:38 PDT 2004

Hey Phil,

Phil Thomson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a relative *NIX newby running FreeBSD on an somewhat older (750 MHz)
> machine. I've been installing programs, and they seem to install in my
> home directory by default, but I have my partition table set up so I
> don't have much room there. My questions are: 1) is there a better place
> to install programs (like /usr/bin for example?) and 2) is there an
> established procedure for installing programs in that location by
> default? Sorry if the wording of my questions in unclear; let me know if
> you have any questions.

If you install programs manually you have mostly a option in the
./configure script that enables you to select a prefix. Mostly that
prefix will be /usr/local/, there all non default applications will be
installed.  (./configure --prefix=/usr/local)

Also, perhaps it's better to use the ports on a FreeBSD system, you can
upgrade them easy with "portupgrade" and they all get installed in the
/usr/local directories.

HTH,

--

Kind regards,