Dangerous file system / disk problem

Ben Paley ben at spooty.net
Sun Jun 6 04:12:55 PDT 2004

Hello,

I wanted to have FreeBSD on my first drive and Win98 on the second, but of
course windows doesn't like being on the second disk, and began "preparing"
my first drive which already had FreeBSD on it! Well, I swapped the drives
over, put W98 on the first one, they both boot fine and I didn't lose any
data.

BUT - Windows now sees my BSD disk (which has never happened before) and keeps
offering to format it for me. Partition Magic gives its filesystem type as
'BAD' rather than 'FreeBSD/i386', as it used to. Weirdly, Boot Magic (bundled
with Partition Magic) found both operating systems with no difficulty.

Since this isn't actually causing me a problem, I wouldn't normally care what
Windows thinks of my BSD disk, but I'm worried one of my kids will press
'Yes' to a format one day...

...any ideas?

su-2.05b# bsdlabel /dev/ad1s1
# /dev/ad1s1:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  2097152        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0
  b:  2097152  2097152      swap
  c: 156296322        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't
edit
  d:  1048576  4194304    4.2BSD        0     0     0
  e:  1048576  5242880    4.2BSD        0     0     0
  f: 150004866  6291456    4.2BSD        0     0     0
su-2.05b#

Thanks,
Ben