lseek problem

Tim Pushor timp at crossthread.com
Sat Jun 5 23:05:09 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I am working on porting an old system over to FreeBSD, and am having a
weird (to me) problem. This system uses various data file types, and
unfortunately it uses the group_id execution bit (but no execute) on a
data file to signify a sequential type file (mode 2440). I have stepped
through the code, and it is failing on an lseek (fd,0,SEEK_SET) where fd
is the properly opened file descriptor for one of these files. This file
is readable by the user and is about 2K in size. this lseek should work
shoudn't it? Its returning -1 and sets errno to 22 (EINVAL). Could this
be because of the weird mode? man chmod doesn't say anything about what
the set-group-id bit does to non-executable files. Could this be the
problem?

Please reply to me as I don't subscribe to this list.

Thank you in advance,
Tim