GRE issues

D.D.W. Downey pgpkeys at pgpkeys.net
Sat Jun 5 13:21:28 PDT 2004

On Saturday 05 June 2004 02:00 pm, you wrote:
> The link below will show you exactly how to setup GRE tunnels
>
> http://www.pointless.net/~jasper/consume/docs/my-docs/tunneling.html

Right on, thank you for that URL. Reinforces that I am on the right track. I
found that URL before I mailed the list and this confirms that I've done this
correctly. For that I wish to thank you.

However, the problem still remains. See, the problem is that from the remote
side of the tunnel I can ping any IP address I assign lcoally, from the block
I'm trying to route over the gre tunnel. I can ping the local side of the
routing from the remote. However, if I ping the remote side of the tunnel
(NOT the IPs used in the ifconfig gre1 tunnel <IP1> <ip2> statement, but the
one used for the link1 statement) it fails to ping. I get exactly *one* ping
through and recorded and then the rest just "magically" disappear. The local
side shows them going out (via ipfw add statements and counting the packets),
but the far side records only one packet recieved and ping shows one single
successful send. Every packet after that seems to get lost.

I've been thinking on this and want to see how far off base I am. So, feel
free to tell me if you see something wrong in my logical thoughts.

I have the /29 routed to here on the remote over the gre tunnel. I have
another route statement on THIS side (local) for the same block. (My
reasoning being that for the packets for that block to be answerable it has
to know to go back over the tunnel. However, in my head that seems wrong
since routing is destination based packet routing which means that i'm just
bouncing the packets back and forth over the gre tunnel. It works fine coming
from the remote to me because, well that's the correct traffic path. The
route on MY side of the tunnel is wrong because I'm saying to route packets
destined for the /29 BACk to the REMOTE side of the tunnel. Obviously not
what we want here. The example given on the URL we both have shows 2
different /30s being routed across the GRE. I don't have that. I have a
single /29 coming TO me locally. Now i need to know how to route any packets
the /29 generates in response to traffic BACK over the gre TO the remote side
and of course, back to their origination.

OK, so I see I'm doing it wrong with the routing statement on my side (local)
of the gre tunnel. How would I route the packets the /29 generates (either
from me just using the IPs outbound with return traffic, or as someone
contacting the IPs in the /29 and me responding)?

Seems route is only half the answer when dealing with this.

- --
D.D.W. Downey
CyberSpace Technologies, Inc.
AS64567-OCCAID