setting up a system with no keyboard

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sat Jun 5 12:25:38 PDT 2004

In the last episode (Jun 05), doug at safeport.com said:
> The question is: can I gain access without one?
>
> The system with no keyboard is 4.8, the rub is it is configured with
> an IP address not on the LAN. I have physical access to the system.
>
> I tried: "route add 204.156.12.157 -interface ep0" and sorta got what
> I wanted.

The best way would be to do something like

ifconfig ep0 inet 204.156.12.156 netmask 255.255.255.0 alias

, since you have no guarantees that the remote system has a route back
to your real IP address.  With an aliased IP, the remote system should
realize it's talking to a machine on the same subnet.

Just make sure the ip address you pick isn't already in use.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com