where to use the xdm host chooser?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Sat Jun 5 02:28:01 PDT 2004

Rob wrote:

> Zhang Weiwu wrote:
>
>> Hello. Now I have my /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess contain (only) this:
>> *   CHOOSER BROADCAST
>>
>> according to xdm(1) this will enable XDMCP host chooser upon user
>> login. Now I reboot, xdm login box pops up, everything like it was
>> before.
>

> I think it means any host can connect and asks in a broadcast.
> If, on your network, a host does
>   X -broadcast
> your machine will/may appear in the that machine's chooser list.

I don't really get you, I'm a xdm newbie;)

I am not sure of the inner machenism but in my local network
(192.168.0.0/24) everyone in the office use gdm and turned on XDMCP, so
you pick up a box with gdm login screen, select 'run host chooser' from
'system' menu, you will see all the computers in the office listed there
and I can pick up one to login. I believe this means they are all
broadcasting.

> I don't know if it also allows an indirect request:
>     X -indirect <your X host>
>
> Oh, and take also a note of this in xdm-config file:
>
> ! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
> ! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
> DisplayManager.requestPort:     0

What does this mean? I am running a slow box I don't need myself to be
listed in the host chooser of other boxes, but I need to be able to
login to other boxes.