How to make a screenshot?

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 5 02:22:56 PDT 2004

Hi Randy,

FreeBSD 5.2

>            vidcontrol -p < /dev/ttyv0 > shot.scr

with the above command a file 'shot.scr' was created.
 But I have no program to view it.

# pkg_info | grep scr2txt
# pkg_info | grep scr2png
# pkg_info | grep -w xv
all no printout

# cd /usr/ports
# make search name=scr2txt
Port:   scr2txt-1.1
Info:   Converts the output of "vidcontrol -p" to text

# make search name=scr2png
Port:   scr2png-1.1_4
Info:   Converts the output of "vidcontrol -p" to PNG

# make search name=xv | grep -w xv
Port:   xv-3.10a_3

Kindly advise Whether I have to install either of the
above program to read shot.scr?

>      The following command will dump contents of the
> fourth virtual
>      terminal to the standard output in the human
> readable format:
>
>            vidcontrol -P < /dev/ttyv3

On KDE desktop Konsole window

# vidcontrol -P < /dev/ttyv3
no graphic image displayed
(tried both -P and -p)

Besides I have to 'su' to use 'vidcontrol'

B.R.
Stephen Liu