Running FreeBSD/PostgreSQL on high-end dual Xeon box

Kenji M kenji at kenjim.com
Fri Jun 4 13:53:29 PDT 2004

Thanks guys!
After doing some additional reading and your comments I think
staying with FreeBSD coupled with a good RAID controller would
probably be the least hassle, reliable, and good performing
setup.

I am looking at a dual Xeon box using an Adpatec 2200S RAID
controller with the write buffer backup battery module.
We will also probably install 4GB of ram.

Now the new question is which RAID level would provide the best
balance of performance and reliability... I currently have a
similar setup that has RAID 0+1 with one hot spare ready in case
of mirror disk failure.

I had been considering the same setup, but it might make sense just
to use 3 disk RAID5 with hot spare ready.  The new RAID controller
implementation might not buy us much by using 0+1 vs. 5.

Any thoughts?

-Kenji

--
kenji morishige