x-forwarding problem - no window contents

Simon Timms timms at ugrad.cs.ualberta.ca
Fri Jun 4 07:59:32 PDT 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 08:10:08AM -0600, Simon Timms wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I.m having a problem with x-forwarding.  I have looked through past
> > questions but I haven.t seen anything on this particular topic.  I have
> > two FreeBSD 5.2_1 machines at home, one of which I run headless.  Usually
> > I manage the headless machine from windows using x-forwarding and either
> > exceed or x-win and putty.  Recently I decided that I hate windows so much
> > that it was time to change fulltime to FreeBSD on my desktop however a
> > problem arises.  When I forward anything from the server to my desktop
> > machine I don't get the contents of any window.  The window frame appears
> > along with the title and is sized correctly but there is nothing inside
> > the frame.
> >
> > I have tried using several different window managers and different users
> > in the hopes it was some sort of setting I had accidentally triggered
> > but to no avail.  Has anybody seen this before and how do I fix it?
> > I assume that it is a problem on the desktop machine since forwarding
> > does work between the server and other boxes.
>
> How are you doing the "X Forwarding"?  Exporting DISPLAY directly?
> Tunneling over SSH with "ssh -X" or "ssh -Y" (you probably want the
> latter)?

Oooh, you know I think I'm just doing 'ssh' and expecting it to work or
give me a huge obvious error.  I have enabled ForwardX11 in
/etc/ssh/ssh_conf on the desktop.  You're probably right that it is a
question of '-X' or '-Y'.  I shall have to try this out when I get home
tonight.  What is the difference between trusted and untrusted X11
forwarding?

> Kris

Thanks for your insight, Kris.