Memory used by caching name server?

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Fri Jun 4 05:08:43 PDT 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Rob wrote:

> No change at all in memory usage. If named keeps its cache in memory,
> why do I not see any changes of available swap space when starting named?
>
> Or does named claim memory on the fly, as it is caching?
> If so, how can I find out what is the maximum it can claim on my machine?

Hi!

named claims memory on the fly.
On Solaris, I have bind 8 seen claiming about 800MB RAM for its caching
database, being the resolver for the machine that creates from http-logs
colorful pictures and other fancy things...

I also don't know what the exact default is, IIRC named takes all
memory it gets.

HTH
Olaf

Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)