help me make a Mail Server choice

Reko Turja reko.turja at liukuma.net
Fri Jun 4 04:54:55 PDT 2004

> It turned out to be a public mail server as well! The choice for the
> MTA
> on fell on postfix :) Now I have to chose POP/IMAP and Virus/Spam.
>
> I would appreciate if you can give me some input on your experience
> with
> Cyrus or Courier, since they are my choices for pop/imap. Also I'd
> like

I've been using cyrus for couple of years now and it's quite robust &
fast. In addition it merges nicely with postfix, so there are no
problems on that front either. The biggest drawback with Cyrus is the
learning curve - The documentation is a bit lacking, but the
mailinglists help there. ( I have to admit that when choosing my
IMAP-server back then the license was one of the main factors...)

In addition many of the webmail systems like Squirrel or Horde work
nicely on Cyrus.

-Reko