FreeBSD4 COMPAT

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 01:43:19 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 03:52:40AM -0400, Reed L. O'Brien wrote:
> what if I don't compile FreeBSD4 into the FreeBSD5 kernel?
> do I wind up with problems in the ports??

That's not a kernel option.  remember that FreeBSD has an integrated
kernel and system -- shlibs, standard applications -- and that for
best results you need to compile both of them (from the same set of
sources).

All the COMPAT4X option in /etc/make.conf does is cause a pre-compiled
copy of libc.so.4 and other vital shlibs from 4.x to be installed.
That the OS major version is 4 and the libc ABI version is likewise 4
is no coincidence.  You can achieve the same effect in an alternate
manner by installing the misc/compat4x port.

However, you don't generally have to do that: it's only necessary when
you need to install software where only a pre-compiled 4.x version is
available.  Aside from a few commercial closed source offerings,
there's only a few ports which will compile under 4.x but not under
5.x, and that number is shrinking all the time.  If you're allergic to
compiling it yourself, then 5.x packages are readily available.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way